Monday, September 15, 2008

Cloth Diapers---I Cannot...Or Can I?

I thought of a great idea for saving some $$....cloth diapers. We already have them from using for a little while with Liam, all I had to get where a couple packs of the covers that fit David's little tushie (which I was able to get with a gift card I was given). This would save some serious cash, as my dear boy still goes through 8-10 diapers a day.
But, after trying for a few days to get beyond the gross factor of having to rinse out poopy cloth diapers, I have re-discovered what I discovered with Liam: that it's too much for me. I just CANNOT force myself to do it. I can't. It's so gross!

I really esteem those I know who can. You all are amazing.

You may say that it's just breast-milk poo, and I could just toss them in the washer without rinsing them. I have heard that this is true, but here's where my ocd tendancy (we all have SOMETHING we're ocd about) kicks in: the idea of the poo being in my washer is disgusting and I just can't work past that.

I just did the math for how much it actually cost me to diaper my child in disposables. 15 cents a diaper. That's 1.50 a day, if he uses 10 diapers in a day. Times 30 days in a month and I'm spending 45 dollars a month; that ends up being 540 dollars a year. Whoa, now that does seem a bit of a serious expenditure. There's so much five hundred and forty dollars can buy.

Oh, the decisions I have to make.
Maybe if I put aside the money I would be using to buy diapers with and gave myself some sort of incentive, like:
"At the end of the year, I will buy a new couch at IKEA"....maybe, just MAYBE I could be willing to rinse pooy cloth diapers.

3 comments:

Faith said...

*laughing* Oh the mind games we play with ourselves when it comes to saving money. I had to giggle reading this post, for it is one I have thought a great deal about in the past, given that someday I hope to have little rug rats myself. Despite the fact that we are attempting to be as frugal as we both possibly can, sometimes there are lines to be drawn. So if you decide to NOT rinse out poo on a regular basis, I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you. Just try and save money somewhere else.

Love you.

Cindy said...

Supplies:
dust mask
essential oil that you love (to sprinkle on the dust mask)
rubber gloves
bleach....lots of bleach.....did I mention bleach?

:)

Anonymous said...

You actually don't have to rinse anything to use cloth diapers if you don't want to. I am completely against poo LOL. I have a huge "gross" reflex. I was able to cloth diaper 2 children with out ever rinsing or touching poo in any way LOL. If you have any questions about anything, I would be happy to share my no mess routines, and washing routines!
susie@diaperdecisions.com