I just read The Blue Castle by LM Montgomery. As in author of the "Anne" books.
I made the mistake of reading part of the introduction first. NEVER a good idea if you want to actually enjoy the book as it is. My advice: read the book first, then go back and read the introduction if you want to. Let the book be untainted by other people's opinions of it.
So, I read part of the introduction first, and from it deduced that I would probably hate the book. I casually flipped through the first half, reading here and there (another thing I DO NOT advise), and kept thinking I would hate it......then I got interested in spite of myself and ended up reading the entire second half, almost without stopping.
I will be going back and reading the entire thing from start to finish because the second half left me deliciously and totally happy. It is a story completely predictable with a happy, fairy-tale, "happily ever after" ending. The best kind of ending in my opinion. I am not a tragedy fan. Even if tragedy is "closer to real life". None of that in endings for ME, thank you very much... Maybe because I truly do not believe that life is a tragedy. No, in my opinion, even if tragical (a very Anne way to say it) things happen in life, over-all it is a wonderful and beautiful love story with heaven at the end of it. It is my deepest belief that to have life in Christ is to have a "happily ever after" ending. And so, it thrills me to read, watch or hear of stories that reflect such an ending.
So, I enjoyed the book very much. And if you like predictable, simple, romantical fairy tales with happy endings, then I think you'd enjoy it too. If not, I would not bother with it if I were you.
Tuesday, August 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Was this the one you were reading at the lake? Glad you liked it.
No, that was a different LM Montgomery book and one I did not enjoy as much as most of her books.
Post a Comment