Friday, November 20, 2009

Aliens?


...no, not quite. This is my first attempt at making Kombucha. My friend Pamela and sister in law Faith both make Kombucha fairly regularly, and both have mentioned how good it is and how good for you it is. I was intrigued and wanted to try it out for myself. I got a bottle of commercially bottled Kombucha from the store, and it was quite interesting tasting stuff....kind of like drinking strong vinegar. Still, I wanted to try brewing it myself, and Pamela had an extra "momma" and gallon jar that she let me have.
So, on Wednesday, I began my Kombucha brewing journey. I sanitized the jar, boiled and cooled the water, brewed the tea and mixed it all up, then added the "momma" and set away the jar in the darkest corner of my closet. Now I'm waiting. Kombucha takes between two weeks and six weeks to brew or culture or ferment, or whatever you want to call it. So in a few weeks or so I'll know if my "momma" is good and if my Kombucha works. I'll let you know...

1 comment:

Faith said...

Yay! Love the Kombucha! It's oober healthy for you and will boost your immune system quite nicely. ;-)